News
Newsfeed
News
Wednesday
December 12
Show news feed

The EU Special Representative for the South Caucasus and the crisis in Georgia Toivo Klaar plans to visit the areas affected by the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict as soon as possible, Toivo Klaar said in an interview with Trend.

“The EU and I personally, deplore any loss of life. Seeing each year the number of victims – many of whom are very young – in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone is heart-breaking. There is no justification for this to go on year after year. I plan to visit areas affected by the conflict as soon as possible to contribute to putting the spotlight on this very human dimension of the conflict that should not be forgotten. I know that my predecessor Herbert Salber did the same. Unfortunately, ceasefire violations are part of the daily life of people living close to the Line of Contact and the international border. Even though the number of incidents seems to have decreased since last year, terrible incidents continue to happen. From a purely humanitarian perspective, this has to stop. It is also detrimental to fruitful negotiations,” he said.

According to him, the EU continuously calls on the sides to strictly adhere to the ceasefire and to exercise restraint on the ground.

“We urge the sides to implement the agreements reached between the Presidents, most recently in Geneva, which in addition to intensifying the negotiations also involve measures to reduce tension on the ground. It is time that the agreement on the expansion of the Office of the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office is implemented. It is undisputable that reducing tension on the ground will help reduce civilian victims. It will also facilitate reaching a mutually acceptable agreement; it will not cement the status quo,” Toivo Klaar noted.

!
This text available in   Հայերեն, Русский and Türkçe
Print
Read more:
All
Partner news