December 05
Show news feed

Armenia’s new National Assembly (NA), which is formed as a result of the snap parliamentary election on December 9, 2018, on Monday began its first session on Monday.

According to the NA Rules of Procedure, the oldest MP – 74-year-old Knyaz Hasanov –   chaired the new parliament session until the NA Speaker is elected.

Ararat Mirzoyan, the sole candidate from My Step alliance, has been unanimously elected the speaker of the Armenian parliament by secret ballot.

Nikol Pashinyan was appointed on Monday as Armenian Prime Minister by presidential decree.

According to the Constitution, President Armen Sarkissian appointed the candidate who is nominated by the parliamentary majority.

Russia's Vladimir Putin congratulated Pashinyan hours after he was appointed.

Armenia’s Acting Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan on Wednesday will meet with Azerbaijan’s FM Elmar Mammadyarov, in Paris.

The talk will be held with the mediation and participation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs.

One person was killed and four others were injured in a fire in one of the apartments in downtown Yerevan.

It was revealed that those injured are a father and his three daughters.  They are in a stable condition.

The Criminal Court of Appeal of Armenia on Monday resumed the hearing on the Prosecutor General’s Office appeal of the first instance court’s decision on releasing ex-MP and retired General Manvel Grigoryan from prison on bail.

The situation was tense nearby the court building. Several dozen Etchmiadzin residents were demonstrating outside the building, and with the demand that fellow city resident Grigoryan be immediately arrested again.

On Saturday the demonstrators closed  the road leading to Zvartnots International Airport  as a sign of protest, but reopened it several hours later.

A military serviceman has died after a road accident Sunday, in Syunik Province of Armenia.

At around 9pm, a car and a semi truck with Iranian license plates crashed on the Yerevan-Meghri motorway. Khoren Gevorgyan died on the spot, whereas his two passengers suffered injuries and were taken to Meghri city hospital.