Armenian News - NEWS.am presents a daily digest of Armenia-related top news as of 12.08.2019:
· Congressional opposition to the President Donald Trump administration attempts to cut US aid for the Artsakh demining continues to grow, Asbarez reported referring to the Armenian National Committee of America.
A total of 22 Senators from 16 states representing 143 million Americans jointed 89 US Representatives who, earlier this week, co-signed a letter defending this life-saving program.
The Senate letter, spearheaded by Senator Menendez encourages USAID Administrator Mark Green to reverse course and continue US funding for the Artsakh demining program.
· Mr. Alan Gogbashian has been appointed Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Republic of Armenia, UK government’s press service reported.
He will replace Ms. Judith Farnworth who will be transferring to another Diplomatic Service appointmentMr. Gogbashian will take up his appointment during September 2019.
· About 12 hectares of vegetation area as well as juniper and fir trees are burnt in the forest on the Lehvaz-Vardanidzor motorway in Syunik Province of Armenia, the Ministry of Emergency Situations (MES) informed Armenian News-NEWS.am.
Rescue teams, a communication vehicle, two fire brigades, and two special rescue squads were dispatched to the scene.
More than 150 rescuers, soldiers, police officers, and local workers are participating in the firefighting.
The fire broke out on Sunday.
· The monument to Sasha Galstyan and the other Armenian military servicemen who were killed in the April 2016 war was unveiled Monday in Metsamor town, in Armavir Province of Armenia.
The relatives of these fallen soldiers, Deputy Defense Minister Davit Balayan, and PM’s wife Anna Hakobyan were present.
The monument was unveiled by the governor Hambardzum Matevosyan of Armavir Province.
· The dead body of a missing villager has been found, in Armenia’s Kotayk Province.
At 1:41 am, the 911 emergency hotline received a call informing that at about 6 pm, an Arzakan village resident (born in 1987) had left home to find his animals, but he could not be contacted since 9 pm, and rescuers were needed.
As a result of a joint search by rescuers and civilians, the dead body of this missing person was found the next day at 12:05 am, and the rescuers carried the body to a waiting ambulance.