Armenian News - NEWS.am presents a daily digest of Armenia-related top news as of 13.12.2019:
· The US Senate approves unanimous consent request on the adoption of Armenian Genocide resolution. Senators Robert Menendez and Ted Cruz presented the resolution for the 4th time. In October the House adopted resolution recognizing the Armenian Genocide.
According to Armenian PM Nikol Pashinyan, this is a victory of justice and truth. "This is tribute to the memory of 1.5 million victims of the first Genocide of the 20th century and bold step in promotion of the prevention agenda. #NeverAgain.”
Serj Tankian, in turn, called the passage “a historical move.” “This cause was my awakening as an activist so I want to say that positive change can occur worldwide if we fight for it,” he tweeted.
Renowned singer Cher also reacted. “God bless fellow Armenians all over the world,” she tweeted.
By the way, before the vote, Instagram star Kim Kardashian has also asked her followers to call their Senators to vote YES on the resolution.
Meanwhile, the Turkish side has also immediately reacted to the adoption.
According to Fahrettin Altun, Turkish communications director, it was the irresponsible step that will damage Turkish-American relations in the long run.
· Special detachments of the police conducted a search in the apartment of former President of the Football Federation of Armenia, Ruben Hayrapetyan, and in several buildings linked to his name.
Thus, police are preparing criminal charges against Ruben Hayrapetyan.
Hayrapetyan, being the President of the Armenian Development Bank and the actual owner of Zeytun Furniture Factory OJSC, had organized the construction and renovation of stadiums and sports schools in several cities of the country from 2012 to 2018.
Police received information that Hayrapetyan had embezzled large sums of money by failing to perform, or partially performing, the planned amount of work, and by preparing false and untrue enforcement acts.
· Azerbaijani FM Elmar Mammadyarov has declared that “concrete and real moments” are being discussed during the talks with his Armenian counterpart Zohrab Mnatsakanyan.
The FM also noted, it’s not clear to him what Armenia means when speaking about security.
“The Armenian population of Karabakh are our citizens, and their security will be ensured in full,” he stated.
Armenian MFA spokesperson Anna Naghdalyan commented on his statement and recalled that Azerbaijan’s hatred policy against Armenians for three decades has shown the true state of affairs.
She noted that not a single document over Karabakh is being discussed at the moment.
· Armenian National Security Service (NSS) has exposed a case of manufacture and sale of counterfeit drugs, NSS press service reported.
An inspection at a pharmacy operating in Yerevan and belonging to a private entrepreneur has been conducted. The drug named Fluconazole-Asteria was found, and it was sent for a test. According to the finding, this drug that was found did not comply with the requirements of the country’s law on medical drugs.
· Legendary Armenian wrestler Benur Pashayan has died, Armenian Greco-Roman wrestling national team coach Samvel Gevorgyan told NEWS.am SPORT.
According to Gevorgyan, Pashayan had had health problems in recent years.