Armenian News - NEWS.am presents a daily digest of top news:
· Armenian soldier has been wounded by the Azerbaijani side's shooting, said Armenian Defense Ministry’s spokesperson Artsrun Hovhannisyan. According to him, the soldier was injured slightly yesterday, and there is no threat to his life.
After the return fire from the Armenian Armed Forces, the shooting from the Azerbaijani side ceased, he added.
During the joint press conference with Armenian FM Zohrab Mnatsakanyan, the two noted that Armenia and Slovakia intend to deepen relations in all directions. The opening of the Slovak Embassy in Armenia took place immediately after the press conference.
Lajcak, in turn, noted the opening of the embassy is designed to enhance cooperation and attract Slovak business to Armenia.
· Armenian PM Nikol Pashinyan and Artsakh President Bako Sahakyan held Saturday a meeting in Stepanakert to discuss ways of enhancing the combat readiness of the Defense Army.
And the Security Councils of Armenia and Artsakh held a joint session in Stepanakert, chaired by Pashinyan and Sahakyan.
According to the PM, the Armenian and Artsakh authorities have identical perceptions on Artsakh issue settlement. He noted security is one of the cornerstones of cooperation between the two states, as they constitute a common security zone. The Army is an absolute and indisputable authority in Armenia, Artsakh and for the Armenian nation, he noted.
Talking about upcoming Artsakh elections, the PM said the elections held so far have demonstrated the existence of completely different realities in Artsakh and Azerbaijan.
The PM also noted we are jointly responsible for the security of Armenia and Artsakh, and bear special responsibility for the security of our region and globally.
· An unknown man has tried to install explosives at the Zvartnots airport, Armenia's emergency situations ministry said on Saturday.
Armenian rescuers were holding a search operation at Zvartnots airport, however, nothing dangerous was discovered.
· Artsakh President signed a decree releasing lieutenant-general Karen Abrahamyan as defense minister. Major-general Jalal Haroutyunyan has replaced him.
· At least 7 people died in Turkey after an earthquake struck western Iran. Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu announced that four adults and three children died in Van.
Armenian FM expressed his condolences to the families of the casualties of the devastating earthquake.
It includes: to suspend land communications with Iran for two week, to apply partial restrictions on air communication, not to apply any restrictions for the Armenian and Iranian citizens’ return to their homeland.
35 Armenian citizens, including dual citizens, have applied to the Armenian embassy in Iran. And the Armenian embassy in Rome urges Armenian citizens in Italy not to frequent crowded areas in the quarantine zone.
The death toll from the new coronavirus has reached 2,619, with 150 deaths in the past day alone. 43 cases have been reported in Iran, 8 of which have resulted in death. Italy has 157 infected and 3 fatal cases. Cases have also been reported in Bahrain, Afghanistan and Kuwait.