Armenian News- NEWS.am presents a daily digest of Armenia-related top news as of 27.05.2020:
· As of 11 am on Wednesday, 373 COVID-19 new cases have been recorded in Armenia, bringing the total number to 7,774.
In total, 98 patients —an increase by 7— have died.
According to the latest data, a total of 3,255 people have recovered thus far.
In the meantime, man, 56, from among most recent COVID-19 casualties in Armenia had no chronic diseases.
· An employee of the Administrative Court Armenia has tested positive for COVID-19, Karen Poladyan, head of the Judicial Department, confirmed to NEWS.am.
According to him, the secretary of one of the judges' sessions tested positive for COVID-19; this person is currently isolated.
According to him, to reduce our coronavirus indicators to zero, 3 simple rules must be followed: wearing face masks, disinfecting and washing hands regularly, and maintaining a social distancing.
· Some news outlets reported that the car of the battalion commander of one of Armenia’s military units was burned yesterday by the shooting from the Azerbaijani side, defense ministry's spokesperson Shushan Stepanyan wrote on her Facebook.
According to her, "the incident took place in the area of the new fortifications being built by the Armenian Armed Forces at the area between the [military] positions." "Yes, the car burned down, but it did not serve the battalion commander."
· The ECHR will deliver an advisory opinion in writing on 29 May 2020 at 11 a.m., in response to a request from the Constitutional Court of Armenia.
The case concerns the interpretation of a provision in the Criminal Code of Armenia of 2009 on the overthrow of the constitutional order and its application in the light of Article 7 (no punishment without law) of the European Convention on Human Rights in the context of a case against former President Robert Kocharyan.
· Armenia police on Monday found the dead body of homeless person Ara Poghosyan—with multiple head injuries—near the church nearby a cemetery in Abovyan town.
Police received information that Poghosyan argued with a 68-year-old man living in a train car-shack over domestic issues, during which this man had hit him several times on the head with a stone and killed him.
The suspect has confessed. The investigation of the criminal case continues.
· The American dollar’s exchange rate against the Armenian dram comprised AMD 483.91/$1 in Armenia on Wednesday; this is up by AMD 0.09 from Tuesday.
And the exchange rate for one euro was AMD 533.66 (up by AMD 3.25).