Armenian News - NEWS.am presents a daily digest of Armenia-related top news as of 02.07.2020:
- Armenia confirmed Thursday 593 COVID-19 new cases, bringing the total number to 26,658.
The total number of tests conducted so far is 115,765.
Also, 11,010 people are currently being treated.
According to the latest data, 15,036 people have recovered thus far, and the death toll has reached 459.
- Armenian intensive care units are almost full, said the country's health minister on Thursday during the government's sitting.
According to Arsen Torosyan, all medical centers have only 1-2 free beds.
The minister added that they can accommodate patients who are in serious and critical conditions, and the total number of such people is 650, while 44 patients are hooked up to ventilators.
Torosyan assured that the increase in new capacities continues.
- Armenia 3rd President Serzh Sargsyan and others' trial has been adjourned as the defendants were absent.
Serzh Sargsyan, has been indicted on charges of "theft of state money."
The next hearing was scheduled for August 6.
According to the judge, the court has considered it reasonable for defendants not to attend court hearings due to their age and does not consider it disrespectful.
- The Criminal Court of Appeal has put off the examination of the appeals filed by the attorneys of opposition Prosperous Armenia Party (PAP) leader, MP, and business tycoon Gagik Tsarukyan, and by the prosecutor's office regarding the criminal case against him.
Gagik Tsarukyan is charged with vote buying, but he does not accept the charge and says it is unlawful.
The court session was rescheduled for July 7.
Tsarukyan did not appear in court Thursday, as he is infected with the coronavirus. One of his lawyers, Emin Khachatryan, told NEWS.am Wednesday that they were going to present to the court medical papers about Tsarukyan’s health so that the court would consider his absence acceptable.
- The Seismic Protection Service of Armenia on Thursday recorded a 2.6-magnitude earthquake in the country, at 6:11 am local time, 3km southeast of Marmarashen village of Ararat Province.
The hypocenter of this seismic activity was 10 kilometers beneath the surface.
It measured magnitude 3 at the epicenter.