Armenian News - NEWS.am presents the daily digest of Armenia-related top news as of 10.05.21:
- The second president Robert Kocharyan, the ARF and Reviving Armenia parties will participate in the snap parliamentary elections as the 'Armenia' bloc.
While the three leaders of the bloc were signing the declaration of the bloc with a solemn ceremony, their supporters have gathered in Freedom Square in the heart of Yerevan.
After the official ceremony, Robert Kocharyan, who heads the bloc, joined the people gathered in Freedom Square with Ishkhan Saghatelyan and Vahe Hakobyan.
Providing more direct contact to the supporters, Kocharyan took off his suit and tie on the stage, remembering that the last time he had made a public speech in public was 18 years ago.
Kocharyan's speech from the platform was short. The second president singled out three main directions of his campaign: border security, dignified peace in Artsakh [Nagorno-Karaakh], and economic growth.
By the way, now only Kocharyan has presented the campaign and his political agenda if he elected the PM. Other members have not made any clear campaigns yet.
During the snap elections scheduled for June 20, Kocharyan's main rival will be acting PM Nikol Pashinyan.
- Former Soviet Union republics commemorated the traditional Victory Day celebrations on 9 May, honoring the surrender of Nazi Germany at the end of the Great Patriotic War in 1945.
Meanwhile, since 1991, Armenia has been marking Shushi Liberation Day - a national holiday marked in Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh as a way to celebrate the anniversary of the Capture of Shusha and the Siege of Stepanakert from Azerbaijani forces in 1992.
However, this year was of a different feeling for the whole nation as Armenian current authorities have handed over Shushi and other Nagorno-Karabakh territories to Azerbaijan - during the last Artsakh war in autumn 2020.
On Sunday, Armenian acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and other high-ranking officials have visited the Yerablur military pantheon where almost all victims of the autumn war have been buried.
However, because of security forces, reporters could not even approach Pashinyan to ask him questions.
- One woman was taken to hospital by ambulance after a major accident, involving a car escorting Armenia’s acting PM Nikol Pashinyan, at a downtown intersection in the capital Yerevan.
The respective footage shows this woman being taken out of a Mercedes.
The police informed NEWS.am that the circumstances of this incident are being ascertained.
- As of Monday morning, 83 new cases of COIVD-19 were confirmed in Armenia, and the total number of these cases has reached 219,353 in the country.
Also, 15 more deaths from COVID-19 were registered, making the respective total 4,249 cases.
The number of people who have recovered over the past one day is 622, the total respective number so far is 205,200.
- Kourtney Kardashian often introduces her followers to Armenian cuisine.
After her visit to Armenia, the founder of the Poosh website has started making posts more often about Armenian national dishes.
This time, Kim Kardashian's older sister prepared the sisters' favorite food: the Armenian beeshee; but this time—together with Kendall Jenner and Khloe Kardashian.
Earlier, Kim Kardashian herself had spoken about her favorite Armenian dishes. According to Kim, they were best prepared by her grandmother Helen, the mother of Kim’s father, Robert Kardashian.