March 29
Show news feed

The bodies of the 14 of the 15 Armenian soldiers who died as a result of the fire in the military accommodation were found in different parts of the bedroom n, and the body of one dead soldier was found in the lobby of the accommodation, in front of the entrance to the bedroom. Arshak Martirosyan, the head of the supervision department of the Central Military Prosecutor's Office for the investigation of particularly important cases of the military service, announced these details on Public Television.

According to him, the version of Arsen Saroyan, a representative of the Rescue Service, voiced on Public Television, that the bodies of all servicemen were on the beds, was dismissed by the testimony. He stated in his testimony that he was not at the scene at the time of the incident, and he perceived differently the verbally reported information that the soldiers were found in the bedroom.

Also, the prosecutor's office is looking into the claims of the relatives of the dead servicemen that there were tense relations between Captain Yeghishe Hakobyan and the soldiers. According to Hovsep Sargsyan, Hakobyan's defense attorney, Hakobyan did not live in that accommodation, and he did not have the opportunity to communicate much with these soldiers.

Earlier, Armenian reported that at around 1:30am on January 19, a fire broke out in the accommodation of the engineering-sapper platoon of the military unit located in the territory of Azat village of Armenia’s Gegharkunik Province. Fifteen servicemen have died as a result of this fire, and seven others were injured. Four of them were discharged from the Vardenis town hospital after receiving medical treatment, whereas three others with severe burns were transported to National Center of Burns and Dermatology in the capital Yerevan.

Immediately after the incident, the commander of the 2nd Army Corps and seven other high-ranking military personnel were relieved of their positions.

A few hours after the incident, Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said at the Cabinet meeting of the government that an officer had poured gasoline in the stove of the aforesaid accommodation. After which, when the fire had gotten to him, he had thrown—with a self-protective instinct—the 5-liter can of gasoline in his hand towards the accommodation, and this had caused the fire.

But later, the platoon commander told reporters that there was no gasoline in the accommodation, essentially refuting the PM. The Military Prosecutor also stated that it is not yet clear whether it was gasoline or diesel fuel.

Criminal proceedings have been launched into this incident along the lines of which there are two defendants: the head of the utility operation service of the aforesaid military unit, as well as the head of the rear of the military unit and the latter’s the deputy commander in charge of rear and utility operation service. They are in custody.

This text available in   Հայերեն and Русский