A gas explosion occurred in a five-story building in Novosibirsk on Thursday morning, partially collapsing two entrances. According to the latest reports, five people died as a result. Earlier this week, a gas explosion caused the entrance to a five-story building in the town of Efremov in the Tula region to collapse.
The explosion in Novosibirsk took place around 8 a.m. local time in a house located on Lineinaya Street. It led to the partial collapse of the building and the fire, the area of which the Ministry of Emergency Situations estimated at 300 square meters.
Governor of Novosibirsk Region Andrei Travnikov initially reported that only one - the third - entrance of the building collapsed. However, the Investigative Committee of Russia specified that two of them partially collapsed.
In all, the house, built in 1966, has four entrances, each of which has 15 apartments.
According to the Novosibirsk governor, the Investigative Committee and the Ministry of Emergency Situations, a domestic gas explosion occurred in the house.
According to the latest data, five people, including a two-year-old child, were killed in the incident. According to TASS, citing medical services, there may be seven more people under the rubble.
According to the mayor Anatoly Lokotya, the fate of 11 people living in the house is being clarified and another 11 are in hospitals in the city. A total of 50 people have been evacuated from the house and humanitarian aid is being collected for them, said the mayor's office.
Governor Travnikov announced that the building will not be reconstructed and that all residents will be resettled.
The Investigative Committee opened a criminal case under Part 3 Article 238 of the RF Criminal Code (provision of services not meeting safety requirements).
According to Interfax, the day before the tenants of the building had applied to the gas service with a complaint about a gas leak.
Tuesday, February 7, there was a gas explosion in an apartment house in the town of Efremov, Tula region. As a result of the explosion, one of the entrances also collapsed there, killing eight people. According to the emergency services, the explosion occurred due to faulty gas equipment.