RA Ambassador-at-Large Edmon Marukyan reacted to the statement of Azerbaijani Presidential Aide Hikmet Hajiyev that people are freely leaving Nagorno-Karabakh.
"In an interview with Deutsche Welle, an aide to the Azerbaijani president claims that people are freely leaving Nagorno-Karabakh. I want to understand if there is anyone in the world who believes in this yet another false talk from Azerbaijan.
- People are leaving because they are being attacked by the Azerbaijani military.
- People are leaving because their towns and villages are occupied by the Azerbaijani Armed Forces.
- People are leaving because neither the international community nor Azerbaijan guarantees their rights and security.
- People are leaving because Azerbaijan has kept 120,000 people, including 30,000 children, besieged and starved for 10 months as part of its ethnic cleansing policy.
- People are leaving because no one has been punished. for Azerbaijan's war crimes in 2016-2020, and there is no guarantee that beheaders will not move freely through these territories to behead new victims.
I hope it's now more than understandable why people are leaving."