Armenian News - NEWS.am presents the daily digest of Armenia-related top news as of 10.06.21:
- Azerbaijan has provided documents on six captured Armenian soldiers’ health conditions.
In addition, the European Court of Human Rights rejected the Azerbaijani Government’s request to lift the interim measures adopted in respect of individuals not confirmed as captives by Azerbaijan.
In this connection, the Court has decided that those interim measures should remain in force.
- Armenia 1st President Levon Ter-Petrosyan doesn't rule out the formation of a coalition with ex-president Robert Kocharyan and Serzh Sargsyan after elections.
Ter-Petrosyan recalled that he had previously made a proposal to join forces, but it was rejected.
- Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chair Bob Menendez (D-NJ) told Secretary of State Antony Blinken that the Biden Administration’s waiver of Section 907 restrictions on U.S. aid to Azerbaijan gave the “green light” to the Aliyev regime to “act with impunity.”
The statement came during a June 8th Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing with Secretary of State Blinken on President Biden’s Fiscal Year 2022 foreign aid priorities. Secretary Blinken was also confronted with similar concerns regarding continued U.S. aid to Azerbaijan, the ongoing illegal captivity of Armenian prisoners of war (POWs) by the Aliyev regime, and U.S. ties with Turkey’s autocratic Erdogan regime during hearings before the House Foreign Affairs Committee and House Appropriations Subcommittee on Foreign Operations this week.
- Nobel Arustamyan, a Russian Armenian football commentator of a Russian television, has received the accreditation for Euro 2020. This was informed by Maria Zakharova, the official representative of the Russian Foreign Ministry.
"Sports journalist Nobel Arustamyan has been accredited for the European Football Championship. It's wonderful! Thanks UEFA. They continue to work," Zakharova wrote on social media.
To note, Arustamyan was not accredited for Euro 2020 due to the respective blocking by its Azerbaijani organizing committee. After that, the Russian Foreign Ministry dealt with the matter of accreditation of this Russian Armenian football commentator.
- The police outside the main building of the government have been apprehending the participants in the protesters staged by the Youth Union of Armenia of the opposition Armenian Revolutionary Federation-ARF Dashnaktsutyun Party.
The situation became tense, the protesters resisted and tried not to let their friends be taken away.
The ARF youth were protesting in front of the main government building, during which they presented—by points—facts about high treason in their opinion.
- As of Thursday morning, 76 new cases of the coronavirus were confirmed in Armenia, and the total number of these cases has reached 223,460 in the country.
Also, four more deaths from COVID-19 were registered, making the respective total 4,478 cases.
One more case of coronavirus patients dying from some other illnesses was recorded in Armenia in the past day, and the corresponding overall death toll in the country is 1,092 now.