Armenia handed over to Azerbaijan 108 bodies who were considered missing since the first Karabakh war, Prime Minister of the Republic Nikol Pashinyan said at a meeting of the National Assembly during the government hour on February 9, answering questions from deputies.
He noted that after the online meeting with the participation of the leaders of Armenia, France, Azerbaijan and the head of the European Council, held on February 4, there are speculations from the Azerbaijani side.
“Azerbaijan constantly says that after the First Karabakh war they have about 4,000 missing people. However, I must say that the Armenian side also has missing persons. There are 777 of them. An attempt is being made to present the situation as if the Armenian side is not taking any steps in this direction. However, in recent years, the remains of 108 people have been handed over to the Azerbaijani side,” Pashinyan said.
He noted that the remains were handed over without any preconditions, since Armenia considers it wrong to bargain in such humanitarian issues.
“This also applies to the transfer of the map of minefields, which Yerevan previously transferred to Baku. In addition, the remains of 2 more people will be handed over in the near future. These works began at the very beginning of 2020. Armenia expects similar actions from Azerbaijan, given that after the 44-day war, the Armenian side has 217 missing,” the PM added.