Armenian News - NEWS.am presents the daily digest of Armenia-related top news as of 04.08.21:
- Azerbaijani UAV was recorded in an attempt to penetrate the Gegharkunik section of the Armenian-Azerbaijani border into the airspace of Armenia.
The attempt was suppressed as a result of the actions of the Armenian air defense units.
- Hakob Arshakyan and Ruben Rubinyan were elected vice-speakers of the Armenian parliament.
The "Armenia" and "I have the honor" opposition blocs boycotted both votings.
However, the parliament has discussed the third vice speaker's candidacy, but this time from the opposition.
The opposition blocs have nominated Ishkhan Saghatelyan, a representative of the ARF Dashnaktsutyun Supreme Body.
- Rustam Badasyan has been appointed head of the State Revenue Committee of Armenia.
The decision was made by the Armenian government.
Earlier Badasyan held the position of the Minister of Justice of Armenia.
- The Criminal Court of Appeal on Wednesday rejected the lawyer's complaint to arrest former head of the Meghri community Mkhitar Zakaryan.
According to lawyer Yerem Sargsyan, the defense is not yet familiar with the full text of the court's decision, but during the trial, it was clear that the court had no reason to reject the complaint, but it was initially decided that it should be rejected.
"After receiving the decision, we will appeal against it in the Court of Cassation," the lawyer said.
- 280 new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Armenia per day, bringing the total number to 230,993.
4,808 people are currently being treated, 220,438 people recovered and 4,625 patients died.
- Champion of Rio 2016, world’s multiple and Europe’s five-time champion, winner of the European Games Artur Aleksanyan (97 kg) took the silver medal during the Greco-Roman wrestling tournament at the 32nd Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo.
In the final, Aleksanyan competed with the two-time world and European champion, 28-year-old Russian wrestler Musa Yevloev and was defeated 1-5.
Meanwhile, Uzbekistan’s Akbar Djuraev scored the title of Olympic champion in the men’s 109 kg weightlifting after lifting 430 kg in the biathlon at the 32nd Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Leading member of the Armenia national weightlifting team, Rio-2016 Olympic vice-champion (105 kg), two-time world and European champion Simon Martirosyan took the silver medal in the biathlon (423 kg).