We are consistent in our peace agenda, Armenian Foreign Minister Ararat Mirzoyan said in an interview with Radio Liberty.
The interview is presented below:
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said their proposal to start work around the peace agreement has not yet received a response from the Armenian side. What are your comments on this?
Both publicly and in different international formats, and during direct contacts with the Azerbaijanis, the Armenian side has repeatedly stated at the highest levels that we are consistent in our peace agenda, and that there is nothing unacceptable in Baku's proposals for a peace agreement, of course, summarizing those proposals and our ideas.
We passed to Azerbaijan, through the OSCE Minsk Group co-chair countries, our proposal concerning the agenda of the negotiations on the comprehensive peace, but we have not heard any official response so far. That is, contrary to what the President of Azerbaijan said, Armenia not only did not reject, but it responded positively to the proposal to negotiate a peace treaty and we are waiting for a response from Azerbaijan. And we have proposed to Azerbaijan to start consultations between the Foreign Ministers on the peace treaty, but we haven't received any response so far. The Republic of Armenia once again confirms its readiness to start consultations over the peace treaty the day before.
The President of Azerbaijan also noted that even after a year and a half, the statement of November 9, 2020 has not been fully implemented, citing, in particular, the issue of unblocking the regional transportation communications. What can you say about that?
Yes, the trilateral statement of November 9, 2020 has still not been fully implemented. Azerbaijan, violating not only the obligations under the trilateral statement, but also international humanitarian law, continues to illegally detain Armenian prisoners of war and civilians, using them as hostages and bargaining chips. Not only Armenia, but the entire civilized world is making this claim against Azerbaijan.
Moreover, Baku, in fact, rejects one of the fundamental elements of the statement saying that there is no Nagorno-Karabakh, no Nagorno-Karabakh issue. While the President of Azerbaijan confirmed the existence of the Nagorno-Karabakh entity with his signature under the trilateral statement. And as long as the trilateral statement exists, the existence of that entity cannot be denied.
The most blatant violation of the trilateral statement of November 9 is that on March 24 of this year the Azerbaijani armed forces intruded into the zone of responsibility of the Russian peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh and are still there. This is a violation of the first point of the 2020 statement.
As for the unblocking of regional transport communications, again, we have said many times that Armenia is interested in the success of this process. The process would have achieved its goal much faster if not for the constant groundless statements voiced by the Azerbaijani authorities about the extraterritorial corridor, which has nothing to do with reality and the agreements reached in the presence of a number of international partners.
But to be fair, it is worth noting that the discussions on unblocking are taking place in a constructive atmosphere, and I hope that they will not be derailed by incomprehensible political intrigues and will soon come to a successful conclusion.