YEREVAN. – Armenian Ombudsman Karen Andreasyan has issued an evaluation of the Ministry of Urban Development activities for 2011.
The assessment is as follows:
Shortcomings and problems identified:
• The Ministry has not carried out a proper control over the assurance of project documents’ compliance with the urban development norms.
• Most of the buildings under construction are not available for people with disabilities.
• Proper supervision has not been carried out towards the community leaders’ obligations to prevent and suspend arbitrary constructions, and eliminate the consequences.
• Different organizations licensed by the Ministry gave different conclusions to citizens on the level of emergency of the same building.
• There are profound complaints concerning the process of re-registration in the lists providing special housing in the disaster zone areas.
• The RA Law “About Control and Supervision of Urban Planning Activities,” as well as a law “About Architecture” have not been adopted.
A number of law drafts and sub-acts were introduced to the RA Government by the initiative of the Ministry, which aim at definition of the joint requirements and standards and urban planning activities carried out by RA communities in territories subject to specific regulations, at optimizing the functions of construction documents coordination, reductions of terms of their implementation, increasing the effectiveness of fighting against arbitrary construction, reduction of the terms of documentation procedures of exploitation of a completed construction, etc.
Photo by Sona Barseghyan