Armenian News - NEWS.am presents a daily digest of Armenia-related top news as of 19.11.2019:
· Armenian President Armen Sarkissian, along with his wife Nouneh Sarkissian, visited the newly opened Armenian Embassy in Doha, on November 18.
According to President Sarkissian, this is a historic day.
Armen Sarkissian and Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, also had a private conversation today and Armenian President thanked the Emir for the lifting of the Qatar visa requirement for Armenian citizens.
· Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan has signed a decision on sending a delegation of Armenian government to Italy. The delegation comprises 28 people, including 7 security personnel, 6 journalists and cameramen.
The official visit will take place on November 20-22, in Venice, Milan, and Rome.
· The secret ballot in the Armenian National Assembly on candidates to the anti-corruption committee ended on Tuesday.
Five member were elected. According to the results of the vote, the government will be represented by Lilit Aleksanyan, Edgar Shatiryan will be from My Step ruling bloc, Narek Hambartsumyan - from Prosperous Armenia party, Haykuhi Harutyunyan - from Bright Armenia party, and Aramayis Pashinyan - from Supreme Judicial Council.
· Officers of the National Security Service have arrested Head of the Tumanyan Division of the Police of Armenia Lernik Gigolyan, Armenian NSS reported.
Lernik Gigolyan was appointed head of the Tumanyan Division by the order of Chief of Police of Armenia Valery Osipyan in 2018.
· On November 18, a case of carbon monoxide poisoning took place in Yerevan. At around 6:50pm, police received a call from Erebouni MC that an ambulance had brought to them several people from an apartment, and with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
And while the police were investigating the case, a call was received from Muratsan MC that ambulance staff had brought 1-year-old baby to them, from the same apartment, and with the same symptom.
And hours later, a call was received from Armenia Medical Center that another four people from the same apartment, and with the same symptom was taken to Muratsan MC.
· The Armenian national football team faced Italy in the 10th and final round of their Euro 2020 qualifiers. The squad lost 1-9 and took the penultimate place in Group J with 10 points.
Armenia head coach Abraham Khashmanyan said he is ready to resign tomorrow if the federation thinks it’s his fault. Speaking during a media conference after a 1-9 defeat to Italy in EURO 2020 qualifying match, Khashmanyan said this "complete fiasco" unfortunately reflected the situation in Armenian football right now.
Armenia national team players Artur Sarkisov, Edgar Babayan and Hovhannes Hambartsumyan , in their turn, apologized for a 1-9 defeat to Italy, Armenia’s biggest margin of defeat in history.
“It was a lovely evening, the last game in qualifying and we did it well. You don’t score nine goals in an international match nowadays, we gave our all to achieve that,” Mancini told Rai Sport. “If we can continue like this, that would be great!” he added.