Armenian News - NEWS.am presents the daily digest of Armenia-related top news as of 06.05.21:
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has arrived in Armenia on a two-day visit.
Russian FM has already met Armenian acting FM Ara Aivazian.
On Thursday morning, the two also visited the Armenian Genocide Memorial in Yerevan.
Later the Russian FM held a joint news conference with Aivazian in Yerevan.
During the briefing, the Russian FM answered the question on unblocking transport and economic communications in South Caucasus.
According to him, 'it is easier to solve political issues when people live as normal, on a land where both Azerbaijanis and Armenians have lived side by side for many decades and centuries.'
"There is no need to politicize the process now; it is quite complicated," he added.
Asked to comment on Azerbaijani territorial claims from Armenia, Lavrov said that 'we have dedicated our talks exclusively to the issues of trilateral cooperation on the matter of unblocking of economic ties.'
"Any issue that may contradict the agreements reached by the leaders of Russia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan cannot be accepted as an alternative to what was agreed upon," he added.
- Armenian Ombudsman's office has carefully studied the speeches of the Azerbaijani president Ilham Aliyev.
The office also analyzed about 300 videos capturing tortures of Armenians, translated them into Russian and English, and sent all the videos to international organizations, said human rights chief Arman Tatoyan.
- The parliament of Latvia recognized, with 58 votes in favor, the Armenian Genocide.
Armenian ex-ruling bloc spokesperson Eduard Sharmazanov took to his Facebook to share the news noting that the vice-chairman of the Latvian parliament, Andrejs Klementjevs, briefed him on this matter.
"I thank my friend Andrejs Klementjevs and all my Latvian MP friends," he noted.
- The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group have released a statement Wednesday reiterating their call for the return of all POWs in the recent Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
The Co-Chairs welcome Azerbaijan's release of Armenian detainees Robert Vardanyan, Samvel Shukhyan, and Seryan Tamrazyan and call on both parties to fully and expeditiously complete the exchange process for all prisoners, detainees, and remains, and to respect their obligations to ensure the humane treatment of detainees.
- As of Thursday morning, 425 new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Armenia, and the total number of these cases has reached 218,325 in the country.
14 more deaths from COVID-19 were reported, making the respective total 4,192 cases.
The number of people who have recovered over the past one day is 714, the total respective number so far is 202,273.