Armenian News - NEWS.am presents the daily digest of Armenia-related top news as of 19.10.21:
- Azerbaijan transferred the remains of another serviceman to the Armenian side after negotiations in Shushi today, the press release of the National Security Service of Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) reads.
The press release also states the following: “The identity of the serviceman will be confirmed after a forensic medicine expert examination. Since November 13, 2020, a total of 1,686 remains, including the remains of civilians have been confirmed as a result of search operations and the exchange of bodies.”
- The Criminal Court of Appeal of Armenia has denied the defense lawyers' appeal against the decision to arrest arms supplier Davit Galstyan. His lawyer Armen Harutyunyan informed about this to Armenian News-NEWS.am.
To note, within the framework of a criminal case into misuse of official power and committing official falsifications by MOD and army senior officials in the process of supplying weapons to the Armenian armed forces, charges on committing large-scale embezzlement have been brought against Davit Tonoyan, who held the post of Minister of Defense from 2018 to 2020, and Davit Galstyan, the director of the arms supplier company. They, as well as Stepan Galstyan, Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces, are under arrest along the lines of the aforesaid criminal case.
- Armenia deputy PM will attend a trilateral meeting with Russian and Azerbaijani counterparts.
"I am leaving for Moscow tomorrow for a trilateral meeting," he noted.
"The agenda [of the meeting] has not changed. Armenia's priorities are known: unblocking of communications in all directions," he added.
According to him, the impression that the demarcation of the Armenia-Azerbaijan border has begun is wrong.
- An elderly couple has been found dead in an Armenian village apartment.
The 911 emergency hotline received a call informing that the door of an apartment in Zovuni village was closed and the elderly couple inside were not responding to the knocks on the door and the phone calls, and therefore rescuers were needed to open the door.
The rescuers opened the door and found the dead bodies of husband and wife on the bed in the bedroom.
A note was found on which it was written: "This is our right decision, we have no relatives." This suggests that the couple may have committed suicide.
- As of Tuesday morning, 1,054 new cases of the coronavirus were confirmed in Armenia, and the total number of these cases has reached 284,237 in the country.
Also, 37 more deaths from COVID-19 were registered, making the respective total 5,842 cases.