September 24
Show news feed

Soldier Eduard Martirosov, handed over by the Azerbaijani side, is already in Yerevan.

He was brought from Stepanakert to Yerevan's Erebuni airfield. He was accompanied by representatives of the Russian peacekeeping contingent Major General Andrei Volkov.

"In accordance with the trilateral statement of Russia, Azerbaijan and Armenia (point 8) today we hand over to the Armenian side the serviceman, Eduard Martirosov, who lost his way a month ago in the area of the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and was captured. As a result of negotiations he was released. Today he is in Armenia," Major General Volkov told Sputnik Armenia.

The commander of the Russian peacekeeping contingent noted that work on the return of prisoners of war to their homeland continues.

"We have taken all actions to continue this process so that all servicemen who were captured in one way or another will return home, to their parents. Today is such an example: as a result of the work of the special services of both Azerbaijan and Armenia, the soldier was returned. The process is continuing. We will work on this and do everything possible to achieve peace on this land," the Russian general said.

The Armenian side thanked Major General Volkov for his assistance in the return of the serviceman.

Martirosov was immediately taken from the airfield to the National Security Service of Armenia, where a brief meeting was held and the soldier was released.

Earlier on 26 May the Armenian Defense Ministry had reported about the return of conscript Eduard Martirosov from Azerbaijan.

The soldier's return took place in accordance with the agreement reached during the trilateral meeting of 22 May in Brussels between the leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan and the European Council President, and with the mediation of the Commander of the Russian Peacekeeping Contingent in Nagorno-Karabakh Andrei Volkov.

To remind, the contact with Martirosov disappeared on 23 April when he was going from the military unit to his fighting post. Later it turned out that the Armenian soldier had crossed the border and ended up on the Azerbaijani side that day (under circumstances that have not yet been established).

This text available in   Հայերեն and Русский