Show news feed

YEREVAN. - The shoulder of a woman was injured during the march in memory of “Food Provider”held on Saturday in downtown Yerevan, the capital city of Armenia.

After leaving the Liberty Square, the march participants blocked Mashtots Avenue, Armenian News - correspondent reports.

A clash took place between the police and protestors. The activists and Deputy Chief of Yerevan Police Valeri Osipyan launched negotiations during which the latter was informed that the shoulder of a woman named Laura was broken.  The Deputy Chief of Police first said that he was not aware of the incident. After calling somewhere he informed that a woman was indeed taken to hospital from the march, however she didn’t have a fracture but only pain.

Afterwards, the march participants headed to the Prosecutor General’s Office and the Ministry of Justice, where they demanded the dismissal of the heads of those agencies. The police didn’t allow them to approach the buildings of the agencies. 

The activists then headed to the Republic Square in order to express their protest to the Government: the assistant to the prime minister on Friday promised to respond to the demand on the burial of Artur Sargsyan but no answer followed.

Artur Sargsyan, a.k.a. the Food Provider, died Thursday at “Armenia” Medical Center, in capital city of Yerevan

Sargsyan, who was charged with aiding the Sasna Tsrer armed group, was released from prison on December 31, 2016, since he had an illness that was incompatible with imprisonment. On February 9, however, he was arrested yet again. Subsequently, Sargsyan went on hunger strike, and demanded that his preventive measure of arrest be commuted.

A few days ago, and with a written guarantee by several dozen MPs, he was released from prison and immediately hospitalized. Several days ago, however, he left the hospital on his own volition. But his health grew worse on Wednesday evening, and he was rushed to “Armenia” Medical Center, where he underwent surgery; but he did not regain consciousness after this operation.

The Sasna Tsrer armed group had taken over a police patrol regiment building in Yerevan, taken hostages, but later surrendered, in July 2016. 


This text available in   Հայերեն and Русский
Partner news