Armenian News- NEWS.am presents a daily digest of the Armenia-related top news as of 28.01.2020:
· Armenia today marks the 28th anniversary of the Armed Forces’ formation. Senior officials - PM Nikol Pashinyan, President Armen Sarkissian, Defense Minister Davit Tonoyan, Security Council Secretary Armen Grigoryan - visited the Yerablur Military Pantheon in Yerevan.
"Our pride grows with the values we convey to our children, with our commitment to our past and future, with our commitment to our identity," PM said later during a meeting in Geghamasar community of the Gegharkunik Province. Later, the PM arrived in Vardenis town where he paid tribute to the Armenians killed in the Second World and Artsakh Wars.
By the way, the supporters of Armenian 2nd president Robert Kocharyan, charged with overthrowing the constitutional order, also visited the Yerablur Military Pantheon Tuesday along with Armenian ex-ruling party political elite, including RPA party head and Armenian 3rd president Serzh Sargsyan.
A lot of former and current officials as well as Armenian representatives, including Armenia’s ex-Defense Minister, Armenian CC head, Armenian Ombudsman, Yerkrapah Volunteer Union, Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II and others, also congratulated the nation with the holiday.
· Narek Malyan, Armenian activist, the head of the VETO public-political movement, was apprehended Tuesday on suspicion of illegal possession or carrying of weapons. He was released after a while as no weapons had been found.
“Weapons were not found, because I have no weapons,” Malyan said adding that he has only a legal hunting rifle.
By the way, the footage of Malyan’s detention was posted on FB by the Armenian ex-MP Mihran Hakobyan. ”A new phase of repression,” he captioned the post.
· Armenia’s opposition Adekvad party members Konstantin Ter-Nakalyan and Artur Danielyan have also been apprehended on Tuesday, Narek Samsonyan, President of the Civil Consciousness NGO told reporters.
According to a party member Lilit Tumanyan, there were another two party members at the police - Grigor Minasyan and Azat Adamyan.
By the way, Konstantin Ter-Nakalyan was also suspected of illegally storing or carrying weapons or ammunition.
· A member of the majority My Step faction in Yerevan Council of Elders, Henrik Hartenyan put down his mandate after he shared the screenshot of the Armenian CC president Hrayr Tovmasyan's daughter’s Facebook account and urged his followers to act.
The majority of My Step faction of the Yerevan Council of Elders convened an urgent session Monday in this regard and urged their member to put down his mandate
By the way, Tovmasyan’s daughter was forced to delete her FB page as some pro-government supporters wrote comments demanding the resignation of Hrayr Tovmasyan, who is charged with abuse of power. Other users shamed the supporters for the hate speech in relation to the young woman.
According to Davit Tonoyan, a new batch of SU-30 fighter aircrafts will arrive soon.
“Our armaments and the capacities needed by the Armed Forces to accomplish their tasks have been increased,” he told reporters on Tuesday.
Tonoyan also touched upon the issue of food provision and noted that 40 percent of the country’s military units have already switched to the new format of food provision.
· Armenian CC judge Hrant Nazaryan has announced the abduction of his son, shamshyan.com reported
A 61-year-old judge told police that he handed his son, 8, to his ex-wife. The latter has taken his son to an unknown place. Nazaryan told police he believes his ex-wife has abducted his son. Police are preparing a report on the incident.
· The death toll of the Chinese coronavirus has already reached 106, and the number of confirmed cases of infection almost doubled up to 4515.
They also urge the citizens who are currently in China to be in touch with the Armenian Embassy in China and the Armenian MFA.