Show news feed

Outside the Georgian parliament, where a protest against the "Transparency of Foreign Influence" bill was going on until dawn, it is quiet at the moment, and traffic nearby has been restored.

The special forces are standing at the entrance of the parliament building as before. There are three buses in the place. The police are on Rustaveli Avenue. Cleaning is underway in the entire area, reported.

The protest that took place in capital Tbilisi on Wednesday ended with another dispersal of the demonstrators, as tear gas, special equipment, and smoke cylinders were used.

Although the protesters were dispersed on Tuesday, an even larger number of people gathered again to oppose the aforesaid bill, which the Georgian parliament passed in the first reading.

Among those gathered were the participants of the Women's March. University students also came in a separate row, with the slogan "No to the Russian law." Supporters of opposition parties and ordinary citizens, who believe that the adoption of the aforementioned bill will lead Georgia to the Russian path of repression, also gathered there, News Georgia reported.

For several hours, the multi-thousand rally was quiet. But the situation quickly became tense an hour before midnight, as some protesters began to surround the Georgian parliament building. Separate groups started to break the windows and shake the fence.

Then the events began to develop according to the scenario of Tuesday. The special forces came down along the parliament building with water cannons, and at the same time they came from Freedom Square along Rustaveli Avenue.

Some of the participants of the demonstration returned to Rustaveli Avenue after midnight and tried to create some barriers with the means at hand.

The Kashveti Church on Rustaveli Avenue hid the affected inside its walls again; this is the closest place to hide when dispersing a demonstration. As the day before, the special forces also used tear gas at the courtyard of this church, where several people were arrested.

According to First Channel television of Georgia\, law enforcement officers arrested 66 people, in accordance with Articles 166 and 173 of the Administrative Code of Georgia—on charges of petty hooliganism and disobeying the legal demands of the police.

The Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia noted that about ten employees of the ministry were injured during yesterday's rally.

This text available in   Հայերեն and Русский
Read more: