STEPANAKERT. - The fortified Shushi City, the ancient administrative, cultural and religious center of Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh), is located in seven miles from the capital of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, City of Stepanakert. (VIEW PHOTOS)
The city has witnessed many wars, including some recent military confrontations. In present Shushi is restored and develops.
The rebuilt Temple St. Kazanchetsots is a popular place of pilgrimage for tourists from Armenia and the Diaspora.
The city was partially protected by steep cliffs, part of an old fortress, the remains of which now attracts antique lovers and professionals.
Until 1823, Shushi remained the capital of Karabakh khanate. Till 1920, 22 newspapers were published in Shushi, out of which 20 were in the Armenian language and two in Russian.
The city, along with the Armenian population had many Muslim residents, Russians and Jews.
During the Karabakh-Azerbaijani war of the 1990s, the city was captured by Azerbaijani troops and liberated on May 9, 1992, as a result of the operation named “Wedding in the Mountains”.
Photos by Arsen Sargsyan / Armenian News - NEWS.am