News
Newsfeed
News
Tuesday
July 16
Show news feed

A former volunteer and a senior official are facing possible prosecution following accusations of donation fraud at a leading children’s charity in China, reports the South China Morning Post.

The Ministry of Civil Affairs, which oversees the China Charities Aid Foundation for Children (CCAFC), has also blacklisted the organization and temporarily suspended its operations.

This follows an investigation by the ministry, which found that the volunteer, surnamed Ke, had scammed close to 10 million yuan (US$1.38 million) from parents of sick children last year.

Ke had been working for the CCAFC’s 9958 Rescue Centre, which arranges emergency aid for critically ill children. He was detained and the case has since been handed over to prosecutors, the ministry said on Tuesday.

The case had exposed management issues at the charity, the ministry said, noting that investigations had also revealed activities “outside regulation” and failure to disclose information according to law.

The charity has been placed on a blacklist of dishonest organizations, with operations suspended for three months.

“During the suspension period, the ministry will send a task force to make sure the rights of children being aided by the charity are well protected,” the ministry said.

!
This text available in   Հայերեն and Русский
Print
Photos